What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident on Public Property?

Depending upon the facts of your case, if you were injured in a slip and fall accident on public property, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries and financial losses. However, filing a personal injury lawsuit against a government entity can be an uphill battle. Personal injury victims must take appropriate steps to ensure that their slip and fall accident case is respected and that they recover the financial compensation that they deserve.

After you have suffered a slip or trip and fall accident on public property, take photos or videos of the accident scene. It will be greatly beneficial to your slip and fall accident case to have accurate evidence detailing the state of the environment in which you suffered your fall accident.

You must then report the slip and fall accident to the proper authorities, be they the property owners, supervisors, management staff, or government agencies responsible for managing the property. Ensure that you properly document the exact time and date of the accident, as well as the precise location of the fall. Before you are allowed to file a personal injury claim against a government agency or entity, you must first file a formal notice of injury with that entity.

You must seek immediate medical attention following any personal injury accident. Not only could your injuries worsen or manifest later, but failure to seek medical aid could diminish the maximum compensation for your case or have your case dismissed entirely. Additionally, follow your doctor’s orders to the letter.

Keep all documents, paperwork, and receipts relevant to the slip and fall accident and the associated injuries. Also, keep the clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident in the same condition that they were in following the accident.

Contact experienced personal injury attorneys to discuss your slip and fall accident case. Our law firm has extensive experience handling complicated slip and fall accident cases, including the ones with the added complexities of involving government entities. To learn more about our legal services, please contact our law firm for a free case review today.

What is Considered Public Property?

Government buildings and government agencies may be the first things that come to mind when you consider public property. However, there are a number of different types of properties that are also considered public property in California.

These include:

  • Municipal parks.
  • Public colleges and universities.
  • Public elementary, middle, and high schools.
  • Swimming centers.
  • Senior centers.
  • Community centers.
  • Stadiums and sporting arenas at public high schools and universities.
  • And more.

What is California Premises Liability Law?

In California, property owners and management staff owe a certain level of care to all lawful visitors who step foot on their property or land. If a dangerous condition exists and the property owners fail to address the dangerous condition or warn visitors of the dangers, they may be held liable for any injuries suffered because of those hazards.

If a slip and fall accident occurs on public property due to dangerous conditions that a government entity failed to respond to, that government entity may be held liable for damages.

Can You File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against a Government Entity?

Typically, government agencies are protected from lawsuits. However, it is possible to file a personal injury lawsuit against a state, municipal, or local government entity in California if you can prove that they were negligent in some way and that that negligence led to your accident injuries.

Personal injury lawsuits that involve government entities are inherently more complex than those that do not. If you have suffered a slip and fall or trip and fall accident on public property, it is highly recommended that you retain professional legal counsel when seeking justice and financial recovery. Our personal injury law firm would be proud to represent your legal rights in pursuit of these aims.

Can Trespassers File Slip and Fall Accident Claims in CA?

In most cases, trespassers (those illegally on private or public property) cannot file a personal injury lawsuit for an accident suffered while trespassing. However, there are some exceptions.

If there were no signs stating no trespassing or private property, the injured party may have a reasonable claim to say that they believe they were on the property legally.

Additionally, if the property was booby-trapped in any way with the intent of purposely harming trespassers, the injured party may be able to pursue compensation regardless of their status as a trespasser. Also, child trespassers are not considered liable for their actions. They are almost always eligible to file a personal injury claim if they were hurt on public or private property.

Is There a Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against Government Entities?

In most California personal injury cases, the injured victims and their attorneys have two years from the time of the accident to file a personal injury claim. However, those injured on public property or government property have a stricter and shorter window of opportunity.

If you have sustained injuries in an accident on public property, you have only six months to file a personal injury suit against the government entity responsible.

Do not delay. Schedule a free case review today.

What Type of Settlement Could You Recover for a Personal Injury Claim?

With a successful personal injury claim, it is possible to recover economic and non-economic damages to help compensate you for your injuries and other losses.

Economic damages may include:

  • Past medical bills and future medical expenses.
  • Physical therapy and rehabilitation expenses.
  • Property damage.
  • Lost wages and lost income earning capacity.
  • Funeral and burial expenses.

Non-economic damages may include:

  • Disfigurement or disability.
  • Emotional distress.
  • Mental anguish.
  • Lost companionship.
  • Lost quality of life.
  • Physical pain and suffering.
  • Wrongful death.

Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Today

Slip-and-fall accident cases involving public property and government entities are more complicated than those that take place on private property or property owned by consumers. If you have sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident on public property, it is essential that you retain professional legal representation immediately.

The Paris Firm proudly represents personal injury victims in pursuit of justice and fair settlement. As your legal representatives, we would help negotiate with insurance companies, file the proper forms, and hold liable parties accountable for their Negligence.

Please contact us for a free consultation today at 909.325.6185.